Monday, October 22, 2007

Jenna Bush


Last week, Jenna Bush returned to Austin to promote her new book, Ana's Story. Now, a lot of people hate anything Bush, but I've come to respect Jenna for trying to do her own thing even in the face of so much adversity for the Bush family. She did an internship with UNICEF last year during which she used her teaching skills to educate children in developing countries about HIV and AIDS. Some have said that the Bush daughters should be sent to Iraq to fight their daddy's war, but I think Jenna said it right, "Obviously I understand that question and see what the point of that question is, for sure," she said. "I think there are many ways to serve your country. And I think … what's most appropriate for me to do is to teach or to work in UNICEF and represent our country in Latin America. But you know I don't think it's a practical question. I think if people really thought about it, they know that we would put many people in danger. But I understand the point of it. I hope that I serve by being a teacher." It was nice meeting her at her Book People.

No comments: