Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last December, I sent an email to Dr. Mario Capecchi to invite him to come to the University of Texas at Austin as a guest lecturer in our Gottlieb Lecture Series. He accepted the invitation. On Monday, they announced the winner of the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Who happened to be the winner? MARIO CAPECCHI is the co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Prize along with Oliver Smithies of UNC Chapel Hill and Sir Martin Evans. He'll be coming here on October 25, 2007!!! How cool is that? We have been pretty lucky over the last few years, but this timing is incredibly lucky and it comes on the heels of our recent visit from Dr. James D. Watson, 1962 Nobel Laureate, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA and founding father of the field of molecular biology.

And, here's a pic of me with Dr. Watson during his visit.

2 comments:

Larisa said...

I'm a bit jealous of your picture with Dr. Watson, even if he is a bit of a nut job...

Jamie said...

I have to tell you that your characterization of Dr. Watson is totally wrong. I spent a lot of time with him and my experience proved to me that he is an extremely thoughtful person. I must admit that when he went on stage, it was as if he were someone completely different from the person whom I came to know. I believe that he understands that concept of showmanship. Controversy sells books. If you thought he said some inflammatory statements, think of the context in which he said them, ie. a book promotion.