Sunday, December 26, 2004

Snow Patrol Official Website

Snow Patrol Official Website
If there's one thing that you should know about me, it is that I love music. I devour new music like some people devour new books or new toys or new gadgets. If you didn't notice, I've already put in a plug on this blog for Wideawake whom I think should be the next band to hit it big coming out of Austin. Keeping my fingers crossed, Scott and Eddie! Today, I purchased the Snow Patrol CD with a gift certificate that I received on my birthday (Thanks Chad and Mireya!!!). I couldn't have used the gift certificate in a better way. The new Snow Patrol CD is just plain good! Their sound is sort of a Cold Play meets Beck. They say that their influences include Dinosaur, Jr., The Pixies and Soundgarden. I think that they're closer to Dino. Jr than any of them. Thank goodness! This CD will definitely become a part of the rotation on my mp3 player. "Run"!!!
I also bought the soundtrack to The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This soundtrack is as unusual as the movie, but it'll be great when the world becomes too mundane to bear. I really like Beck's song and Wada Na Tod by Lata Mangeshkar. Just to give you an idea of some of recent additions to my music collection, here's a few from the last few weeks:
No Doubt - The Singles (1992-2003)
This is a catalog of kick-ass songs featuring one of the most unique female vocalists in Rock/Ska history! Gwen Stefani. Gotta love her. She already has my vote for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside
How can anyone question his talent! Everything that Ben does is golden. Ben has played the last two Austin City Limits (ACL) festivals and his performances were euphoric.
Lucinda Williams - World Without Tears
This jaded female songstress expresses her emotions with the demurity of a scorpion. Her lyrics are piercing but she delivers in such a way that you want to meet her at the bar and cuss over a glass of whiskey along with her.
Lucinda also played at ACL 2003. At the time, she was new to me, but I've come to appreciate everything about her.
Jet - Get Born
When I listen to these guys, I can't help but think of the Beatles. That may not be their intention, but they have it. Fortunately, there's enough of a mod-rock injection that they can claim they're own sound. I play this CD when I'm getting ready to hit the town, because it has contagious energy.
Toni Price - Born to be Blue
Now, this is an interesting CD. Toni is a local Austinite who plays regularly at the Continental Club. The title of this CD appropriately reveals her unfortunate encounters with love. Cara and I saw Toni Price play at Antone's in downtown Austin and I couldn't help thinking of some washed up wall street suit who just lost his life-savings in a bad investment. As she sipped on her glass of "Tennessee Whiskey," it was apparent that she was living a Janis Joplin-esque lifestyle. No matter, though. Her vocals never failed. She always maintained the angelic harmonizing that is captured on this album.

No comments: