Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Currently Reading - State of Denial



So, I finished reading "From Baghdad with Love" in a very short time. It was a really nice story about a soldier's endeavors to bring a stray dog from Iraq to the US. It was definitely an uplifting story so I won't ruin it by revealing the details. I enjoyed it for the story about the dog, Lava, and because it gives some insight into the inner workings of the military in Iraq. It's a quick read so you should read it yourself.

I'm already halfway through "State of Denial" and I must say that it is one of the most engrossing books that I have ever read. Composed by Bob Woodward, the Washington Post journalist famous for his stories about the Nixon Watergate scandal in the 70's, this book is very well written with incredible details about the Bush Administration's build up and execution of the War in Iraq. I have a difficult time putting the book down once I start to read it. I am amazed at the level of access to conversations and relationships between the pentagon and the white house that he has. I am stunned by the frankness with which Woodward reveals the failings of the administration, in both decision-making and communication. If you read a single book about the war in Iraq, you must read this one. I'll write more about this book in the future.

I'm also really excited that Woodward and Bernstein, the other Watergate journalist, will both be coming to the University of Texas at Austin on March 23, 2007. Like Norman Mailer's visit, I hope to see their lecture and get an autograph.

Recently completed:
From Baghdad with Love
by Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman with Melinda Roth
1984
by Eric Blair (George Orwell)
The Naked and the Dead
by Norman Mailer
My War: Killing Time in Iraq
by Colby Buzzell
No God but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
by Reza Azlan
Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War
by Anthony Shadid
The Places in Between
by Rory Stewart

No comments: