Thursday, December 07, 2006

Do you ever wonder what I do during my days at work?

Well, one of the things that I do during the day is attend seminars and lectures by scientists from all over the country? These scientists may or may not be in my field of study, but science is science and we can all learn from the discoveries of others. Occasionally a scientist will come to UT who has done work relevant to my field of study. Below you will find video clips from a recent lecture by the renowned developmental biologist Dr. Nancy Hopkins. Dr. Hopkins has been a pioneer in the field of developmental genetics by developing the technology to do large-scale mutagenic screens in zebrafish in order to identify the genes essential for embryonic development. She and the members of her laboratory empirically determined the methods to knock out a broad range of genes in zebrafish using retroviruses. This is relevant to my research because we are also trying to knock out genes of interest in zebrafish. The difference between her research and mine is that I am trying a targeted approach to gene knockouts whereas she was trying to knock out genes at random. Meeting Dr. Hopkins was very inspiring and I hope that someday, I'll be able to share the fruits of my labor with similar success that she shows in these videos.
For non-scientists, the challenge of watching these videos will probably be simply staying awake. Minimally, it may take you back to college or high school biology class, at least for a minute or two.
Enjoy!



No comments: