Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Norman Mailer

Recently, I posted that I had begun reading The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer. I did so because Mr. Mailer would be making an appearance on the UT campus. After attending the panel discussion featuring Mr. Mailer, Larry Shiller and Gay Talese, all of whom are accomplished authors, I was very pleased that I took the time to attend. Mr. Mailer read an excerpt from his latest novel, the Castle in the Forest, and I was mesmerized by the imagery of his words. I cannot wait to read it. I recorded a bit of Mr. Mailer's reading and have included it in the following video clip. I was also fortunate enough to meet Mr. Mailer and get him to autograph my copy of his first novel, The Naked and the Dead.

[Warning - Adult content] The excerpt that Mr. Mailer reads is a description of the "moment of conception" of Adolf Hitler from the perspective of the devil's assistant.

No comments: